||[Sep. 29th, 2011|11:23 am]
Shlomif's Technical Posts Community
|||||Ke$ha - We R who We R||]|
First of all, happy new Jewish Year.
My old Pentium 4 2.4 GHz computer (here's the blog
entry where I blogged about getting it back in 22-September-2003) has
served me mostly well for 8 years, but recently exhibited many signs of dying
and had problems booting a lot of the partitions there. As a result, we
bought a new computer to replace it: a Core i3 machine with 8 GB of RAM, a
2 TB hard-disk, and an Intel HD Graphics adapter. I've installed Mageia 1
on it and set it up, and it is now working mostly nicely.
I've ran into a few problems with it. From the 1280*1024 screen
resolution not working (which required adding a mode line), to
being dropped by the network interface (which I found a fix for
a Red Hat bug), to the fact that
not working properly when running remote X apps (which is not resolved
yet.), but as a general rule - I'm happy.
The new computer is much faster than the old one, which wasn't too slow running